Preparation is the key to a successful interview so don’t overlook the practical details or leave things to the last minute.
- Make sure you know where to go and how long it will take to get there. Aim to arrive at least fifteen minutes early.
- Decide what you are going to wear beforehand and try it on for comfort (there’s more information on this next week).
- Do your revision. Read over your application and think about the questions that you might be asked.
- Take a copy of your application or CV, and if required, examples of your work.
- If you can, try to find out about the format of the interview, how long it will last, and who will be interviewing you.
- If you are making a presentation take a copy along on a memory stick and hard copy handouts.
- Think more deeply about yourself, the role or course, and the organisation or institution you are applying to.
Most of us experience some nerves in the run up to an interview but if you have prepared thoroughly and retain a genuine interest and enthusiasm for the job or course, then you will have done your best – and that’s all you can really do!