Wh-questions Asking for Information
What is a Wh-question
A Wh-question begins with a question word. This lesson will show you how to use them. Question words are who, what, which, whose, where, when, why and how. We use a Wh-question to ask for information. You can see the different with the lesson Short Questions and Answers.
Understand the structure of Wh-question
The structure of the Wh-questions are similar to the Yes/No questions, but we add a question word at the beginning.
Wh-question + Auxiliary verb + Subject + (verb)?
An auxiliary verb is a form of be, do or have or a modal verb, such as can, could, may…
The main verb be also comes before the subject in questions.
- How old are you?
- What was that sound?
- Where is Peter?
If there are more than one auxiliary verb, only the first one comes before the subject.
- The rabbit have been running – Where have the rabbit been running?
- I should have told you about the mistake – What should I have told you?
Wh-questions in Present Simple and Past Simple tenses.
We use the auxiliary verb “do” with the verb in Present Simple and Past Simple.
Wh-question + do/did + Subject + Verb?
- When do we meet at the airport?
- Why did you lie to me?
- How do you get to school?
- Where did you see him?
- What do you do for your living?
- Which one do you prefer?
- Whose course did you take?
Wh-questions in Future Tense
We use the auxiliary “will/shall” with the verb in Future Tense
Wh-question + will + Subject + Verb?
- When will we meet at the airport?
- Why shall I go to work so early?
- How will you get to school?
- Where will you meet him?
- What will you do for your living?
- Which one will you buy?
- Whose course will you take?
Question Phrases for Wh-questions
What and How can go with a noun or an adjective to make a question phrase. Look at the example below.
- What kind of movies do you like?
- What colour is your jacket?
- What time do you finish your exercise?
- How many candies do you have?
- How much did you spend at the tour?
- How much time do you spend for the test?
- How far can you run?
- How long does the movie last?
- How old is your father?
- How come I didn’t see you at school?
Wh-question Asking for Information
Let's start the quiz!
Choose the correct question word.
You will be asked 10 questions