Making a complaint in English
Speaking Topic Lessons
- Have every made a complaint in English? What was it about?
- How do you feel when you make a complaint?
When you have a bad experience on something, you will be angry and want to make a complaint. How do you do that? Listen to the conversation and learn the way they complain.
Polite and strong complaints
You can make your complaint polite or very strong.
Use the verbs like seem and appear to make the complaint more polite
- There seems to be a problem with the screen.
(= I’m not sure what the problem is.)
You can use the specific phrases to make the complaint very strong.
- That’s not good enough.
(= This situation is not what I want.)
Using “I’m afraid…”
I’m afraid… means I’m sorry to tell you that… Use it to make an apology. You can put it at the beginning or end of a sentence.
- I’m afraid we’re very busy today.
- We cannot repairt it, I’m afraid.