English Speaking Topic
Giving advice and suggestions
- Who do you talk to when you have problems? Do you feel better after talking to him/her?
- When did you last listen to a friend’s problem? Did you help him/her?
Listen to the conversation. Pay attention how the man gives his advice and suggestions.
Learn more: 6 expressions to offer help in English
If I were you, I’d… has a simillar meaning to You could… It is used to give advice to someone and make suggestions.
- If I were you, I’d go to the doctor.
- You could go to the doctor.
Why don’t you…?, You need to…, You should… are used to give a suggestion.
You can response to a good suggestions by saying:
- That sounds great.
- That sounds like a great idea
- I really appreciate your help.
- That’s a good plan.
Learn more: That sounds interesting